Saturday 6 January 2007

My sucky X-Mas 2006!

On the 26th of December, I went out for the traditional Alsacien boxing day hunt. The day was one of the coldest of the week and the landscape presented a nice and frosty/icy appearance. Walking back down from position back to the jeep, I hit a patch of dark ice while trying to avoid a much bigger patch of ice. My left leg slide under me inwards and twisted. My body weight landed on an unstable foot and my bones when CRACK! I fell to the ground - more pissed off than in pain. My left Tibia and Fibula are broken!

For those who follow football (soccer), I did something like what Djibril Cissé did about 8 months ago in a France football match.

The rescue team was called (sapeur-pompiers) and I was transported to the hospital in Mulhouse. I have a moblog of the rescue and the day here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvt_moving_being. I even made the local news (l'Alsace Newspaper)!

The 27th I was operated and a plate and screws were inserted! Spent the week (until 3rd) in hospital taking lots of pain killers, antibiotics and blood thinners (there is a risk of an embolism with these kinds of breaks because of blood clots). The Doctor actually said that I really did a great job breaking my leg but was lucky not to have torn the ligaments.

So what's next, well here is a list:
- no putting my foot down for 6 weeks
- continued pain and thinners with regular checks/controls for the next months
- House bound until March and maybe then some depending on how I heal.
- A long period of reeducation and all the crap that goes along with loosing muscle mass, etc.

The good side is that this happened to my left leg and I know what it takes and how things work... Have had a lot of experience in bone fractures, etc on my left leg. While in the hospital and after close reflection, I realized in fact that I have had a problem with my left leg on average about every 15 years - this is the 3rd time!!!

Such is life, things happen!

Thanks ahead of time for your support and well wishes..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So,just a quick update.
Since the end of February, i have been walking with my foot on the ground and progressively putting more and more of my body weight on to it.
Soon (end April), maybe only one or no crutches! ;-)

Unknown said...

I though I would just ping you with a medical update following a scheduled checkup with my Surgeon. So the good news is that things are progressing as expected. However, I am not completely healed yet as I am still:
- showing signs of swelling;
- still in pain (sucking it up though);
- movement is still stiff and constrained in the ankle.
So the verdict is that I can now walk with just one crutch but still need to take care. Simple activities only! I should keep the single crutch at least until end June (mostly for safety).

Outside of that no major physical re-education required. Should do some swimming pool activities (walking in water, light swims) and when i have less pain try some biking.