Tuesday 13 May 2008

Yet Another HDD Bites the Bucket

One of my drives (a 500gb USB WD Book less than 2 years old) just kicked the bucket! Unfortunately (or fortunately) it was the drive that only held videos and podcasts and open-source torrent downloads. So I am not losing much - except that I just lost a shit load of crap that took quite some time to download.
What gets me and continues to get me is that the drive in question was working very well until I rebooted the system it was on. This continues to be, IMHO, the plight of the HDD in today's day environment. Don't get me wrong I know why a working drive suddenly stops working on a reboot, but I just don't understand why we in the industry have not figured out how to combat this situation!
Why can't the drives detect they are failing and warn you before you reboot? Why should a stop/start command force the platters to stop and re-rev hence creating a die situation? Why? Why?
Oh, well! I know what the gadget purchase will be this month: new drive!

0 comments: